House Bronze Doors
The bronze doors at the east portico entrance of the Capitol's House wing were designed by the American sculptor Thomas Crawford in Rome in 1855–1857. Upon Crawford's death William H. Rinehart executed the models from the sculptor's sketches in 1863–1867. The models were shipped from Leghorn, Italy, in 1867 but remained stored in the Crypt of the Capitol until 1903, when they were cast by Melzar H. Mosman of Chicopee, Massachusetts. The doors were installed in 1905. They are 14 feet 7 inches high and 7 feet 4 inches wide.
Each valve consists of three panels and a medallion depicting significant events in American history. The descriptions below start at the top of each valve and proceed downward.
This official Architect of the Capitol photograph is being made available for educational, scholarly, news or personal purposes (not advertising or any other commercial use). When any of these images is used the photographic credit line should read “Architect of the Capitol.” These images may not be used in any way that would imply endorsement by the Architect of the Capitol or the United States Congress of a product, service or point of view. For more information visit www.aoc.gov.