Thomas Jefferson Statue
The statue of Thomas Jefferson by Pierre-Jean David d’Angers located in the Capitol Rotunda was the first full-length portrait statue placed in the Capitol. Its bronze medium was unusual in early 19th-century America, where sculpture was more commonly carved in marble. The statue was presented by Uriah Phillips Levy to the Congress in 1834 as a gift to the American people.
For more information visit: www.aoc.gov/cc/art/jefferson_dangers.cfm
This official Architect of the Capitol photograph is being made available for educational, scholarly, news or personal purposes (not advertising or any other commercial use). When any of these images is used the photographic credit line should read “Architect of the Capitol.” These images may not be used in any way that would imply endorsement by the Architect of the Capitol or the United States Congress of a product, service or point of view. For more information visit www.aoc.gov.