In 1877 the United States purchased Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi's "Fountain of Light and Water" – commonly called the Bartholdi Fountain. Beginning in 2008, the Architect of the Capitol undertook a complete off-site restoration of the cast-iron fountain and made numerous improvements to the basin within Bartholdi Park. The fountain returned to Bartholdi Park in May 2011, and the park is open to the public.
For more information about Bartholdi Fountain visit: www.aoc.gov/cc/grounds/art_arch/Bartholdi-Fountain.cfm.
This official Architect of the Capitol photograph is being made available for educational, scholarly, news or personal purposes (not advertising or any other commercial use). When any of these images is used the photographic credit line should read “Architect of the Capitol.” These images may not be used in any way that would imply endorsement by the Architect of the Capitol or the United States Congress of a product, service or point of view. For more information visit www.aoc.gov.