Old House Chamber, 1838
Oil on Canvas
The first House chamber in the Capitol was designed by Benjamin Henry Latrobe. After the House moved to its present chamber in 1857, this room was designated National Statuary Hall. John Quincy Adams (center, with raised hand) is shown speaking in the chamber; Speaker James K. Polk is seated under the canopy at left.
This official Architect of the Capitol photograph is being made available for educational, scholarly, news or personal purposes (not advertising or any other commercial use). When any of these images is used the photographic credit line should read “Architect of the Capitol.” These images may not be used in any way that would imply endorsement by the Architect of the Capitol or the United States Congress of a product, service or point of view. For more information visit www.aoc.gov.