National Statuary Hall - U.S. Capitol
The House of Representatives first occupied this space south of the Rotunda of the U.S. Capitol in 1809 and used it as their meeting room for almost 50 years. In 1857 the House moved to its present chamber, and in 1864 Congress invited each state to contribute two statues of prominent citizens to a for permanent display in the room, which was renamed National Statuary Hall.
For more information on National Statuary Hall visit: www.aoc.gov/cc/capitol/nat_stat_hall.cfm.
This official Architect of the Capitol photograph is being made available for educational, scholarly, news or personal purposes (not advertising or any other commercial use). When any of these images is used the photographic credit line should read “Architect of the Capitol.” These images may not be used in any way that would imply endorsement by the Architect of the Capitol or the United States Congress of a product, service or point of view. For more information visit www.aoc.gov.