Hatfield House, Hertfordshire
The entrance courtyard at the South Front of Hatfield dates from 1840 when Queen Victoria came to stay. Facing this was a large area of lawn and a few bay trees in lead planters. But around 2000, Lady Salisbury began one of her last major projects and planted the whole area with box which today has reached maturity. It is a most impressive sight and an exercise in pure classicism.