Fisher Fine Arts Library, University of Pennsylvania
The Anne & Jerome Fisher Fine Arts Library, also known as the Furness Library, is located on the east side of College Green. Designed by the acclaimed Philadelphia architect Frank Furness (1839-1912), the red sandstone, brick and terra cotta Venetian Gothic giant -- part fortress and part cathedral -- was built to be the primary library of the University, and to house its archeological collection.
The cornerstone was laid in October 1888, construction was completed in 1890, and the building was dedicated in February 1891.
More information at: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_Fine_Arts_Library
Photo by Scott Spitzer