new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white

Point of Honor 1

This is a creative commons image, which you may freely use by linking to this page. Please respect the photographer and his work.

 

Point of Honor (Lynchburg, Virginia) is an excellent example of Federal-style domestic plantation architecture, built by Dr. George Cabell (1766-1823) physician of Patrick Henry. The architect/builder is no known. Although the front façade gives the impression of symmetry, the house is irregularly shaped. The construction on the 2-story stuccoed brick house began ca 1806 and was completed in 1815. The porch is not the original one which was thought to be two stories high; the stone steps and wrought iron, however, are original. One-story additions in the rear have altered the original look. Sometime mid-19th century, the house was altered to conform to the Italianate-style, but all that remains of that is the porch. To the right of the front faced is the office of Dr. Cabell. A polygonal projection is on either side of the central section of the house. The existing Italianate porch is raised with stone steps leading to the centrally-placed entrance. Eight square columns with panels support the second-level open balustrade. The second-level porch overhang is supported by thin brackets, and below that is a line of dentil. The entrance consists of double wooden doors with a half-circular transom with a sunburst pattern. The arch with prominent keystone extends to the floor in the form of pilasters. The low-hipped roof has a cornice with thin brackets. External end chimneys are on both of the side facades. The windows on the first level are 9/9 sash but 6/9 on the second-story. The surrounds have a trapezoidal shape with keystone above the window. The interior (which I unfortunately paid little attention to) has Federal woodwork; pineapple and tassel-and-swag ornamentation are on the door surround and mantel of the drawing room. The house is in that section of Lynchburg known as Daniel Hill, and the view of Lynchburg is impressive from the front lawn.

 

Several people had direct or indirect connections with the house. After Cabell died, the house passed to the Langhorne family, one being Henry Langhorne who was the great-grandfather of Lady Astor and her sister, the Gibson Girl. The house was owned by the Daniel family and Judge William Daniel was the father of Senator John Warwick Daniel (whose house is also in Lynchburg). It belonged to Col. Robert Owen, President of the Virginia and Tennessee Railroad. The city obtained the property in 1928 and used it as a neighborhood center for a while. Then in 1968 the Historic Lynchburg Foundation began a restoration; it is now part of the Lynchburg Museum system. The home was placed on the National Register of Historic Places Feb 26, 1970 with NRHP Reference ID # 70000872

 

The website for Point of Honor is www.pointofhonor.org/

 

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License

   

9,263 views
3 faves
2 comments
Taken on January 19, 2011