new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
5 Side View and Rear Turret, Capehart Crocker House | by David V. Hoffman
Back to photostream

5 Side View and Rear Turret, Capehart Crocker House

[There are 11 images in this set] This is a creative commons image, which you may freely use by linking to this page. Please respect the photographer and his work.

 

The Capehart Crocker House (apparently most commonly called Capehart House) is a fine example of Queen Anne-style architecture, constructed in 1898 for Lucy Catherine Capehart and her second husband, B. A. Capehart, who died in 1899 shortly after moving in. Mrs. Capehart died in 1908. The house eventually was the home of sheriff H. G. Crocker. In 1947 it was turned into apartments and then used as offices for state government in 1971. In 1979 when much of the neighborhood was being torn down, the house was moved from Wilmington Street to Blount Street, an area associated with the well-to-do. A sign in front indicates it’s now the offices of the North Carolina State Ethics Commission.

 

From virtually any angle, the roofline is a wonderland of shapes and lines. The National Register website states “Its dramatic massing of towers, turrets, dormers and pediments is complemented by a rich combination of colors and textures, including pressed tan brick, rough stone, patterned slate shingles, stained glass and elaborate wood ornamentation.”

 

The architect is Adolphus G. Bauer (1858-1898), a local architect, whose life could form the basis of a fascinating book (fiction or non-fiction); it even has enough dramatic possibilities for a movie. He committed suicide before the home was completed. Mostly demolished, his structures showed a flair for the elaborate asymmetrical design of that period. Perhaps his most notable achievement was the Baptist Female Seminary of Raleigh, which later evolved into Meredith College. Another standing example is the North Carolina School for the Deaf at Morganton.

 

It was added to the National Register of Historic Places 17 January 1975, NRHP Reference #75001293

 

Major sources of information:

www.nps.gov/nr/travel/raleigh/cpe.htm

ncarchitects.lib.ncsu.edu/people/P000040

 

A beautiful sunny day image of the home donated to public domain is at

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Capehart-House-20080321.jpeg

 

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License

   

6,851 views
5 faves
7 comments
Taken on October 31, 2010