A. A. Hicks House 1
[ There are 10 images in this set on the Hicks House] This is a creative commons image, which you may freely use by linking to this page. Please respect the photographer and his work.
Since 1962 this Greek Revival house in Oxford, North Carolina, the A. A. Hicks House, has been the home of Gentry-Newell & Vaughan Funeral Home. It was built about 1903. It's in the Oxford Historical District and is on College Street. National Register of Historic Places #88000403 (added 1988)
The façade has the most characteristic feature—the full-height porch (portico) with fluted Ionic columns supporting the roof. The entry porch, however, is not very wide and extends probably less than 1/3 the width of the building. The entrance has multi-paned sidelight and a segmented transom. Above the entrance on the second level is a balcony with turned balusters and ornamental windows on either side of double doors with diamond shaped panes. Below the high hipped roof and prominent eaves are dentil; above is a curious wide pedimented dormer, the windows with a stylized star design. Throughout the windows are 1/1 double-hung sash windows. Symmetry dominates the entire structure, including the placement of the prominent chimneys. Many interior features existent from its construction remain unchanged.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License