[This set has 9 images] This is a creative commons image, which you may freely use by linking to this page. Please respect the photographer and his work.
The James L. Kemper house (circa 1852) (in Madison, Madison County Virginia) is a two-story wood frame Greek Revival structure, painted white with dark green shutters. There are two stories above a raised basement. The hipped roof is of seam metal. A small center porch on the first story consists of Ionic columns, which support a roof and balustrade. The metal railing on the steps is a modern convenience. The windows are 6 over 6 with flat lintels and window surrounds with corner blocks. The doorway is derived from the American architect, Asher Benjamin; it has a continuous, segmented transom and sidelights. Interior chimneys are on both sides and are of prominent size. Image 9 provides a view of the depth of the house. Several outbuildings are on the site. Today the building is the Health Department of Madison County. The building is in the Madison County Courthouse Historic District, which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places August 16, 1984 with reference ID #84003549.
James Lawson Kemper (1823-1895), a native of Madison and a lawyer served in the Confederate army as a major-general, ultimately being wounded at Gettysburg. He later (1874-1877) became governor of Virginia. Upon retirement from public life, he sold the home in 1881 and moved to Orange County, Virginia where he died.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License