new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Captain Ray House, circa 1843 1 | by David Hoffman '41
Back to group

Captain Ray House, circa 1843 1

This is a creative commons image, which you may freely use by linking to this page. Please respect the photographer and his work.

 

[7 photos in this series] Information on the 5-bay frame Captain Ray House in Carrollton, Mississippi gives conflicting dates as to its construction. A sign in front gives the date as circa 1843; the nomination form gives it as circa 1830 and circa 1875. Possibly the earliest date (circa 1830) is of a one-story ell at the rear.

 

As with the Bingham House next door, the most obvious feature of the Captain Ray House is the two-tier porch. The eclectic millwork is eye-catching. Either the home or the millwork is attributed to a James Clark Harris (the nomination form is not as clear as it could be). The six rectangular columns differ for each level, the ones on top providing greater support for the porch roof. Numerous small details are clustered at the capitals, almost in a capricious fashion. Between the two tiers are five embellished panels, marking off the five bays. A decorated railing is provided for the top tier, but the brick bottom porch is open to the yard. Both porches show a suspended pattern of serration between the columns. Further ornamentation is in the gable (see image 2 in this set), an elaborate circle (possibly a wheel motif), brackets, and the unbroken string of serration fringing the gable. The main roof and porch roof are metal. Windows on the front facade are narrow with 4 panes over 4. On the visible gable side, the window consists of 3 panes over 3. The front entrance (see image 5) is a single step up from the porch, flanked by a metal rails. The double-leaf wooden door has two decorated vertical panes set into decorative woodwork particularly above each pane. The sidelights consist of two vertical rows on each side, each containing 7 lights. The transom has 2 horizontal rows with 12 lights each. A screened in porch adheres to the style of the main portion. The foundation is brick. This house nourishes the architectural eye with a dessert of embellishment. The Captain Ray House is part of the Carrollton Historic District, listed (Nov 27, 1978) on the National Register of Historic Places, ID #78001590.

 

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License

   

167 views
1 fave
1 comment
Taken on May 17, 2018