[This set contains 7 photos] This is a creative commons image, which you may freely use by linking to this page. Please respect the photographer and his work.
This red brick structure in Charlotte Court House, Virginia dates from about 1825. It presumably began as a tavern then became a store for general merchandise and an office building. It is in a state of disrepair but is slated for preservation by the APVA (now called Preservation Virginia). The pedimented front gable is a classic feature of Federal-style architecture. The facade is Flemish Bond and the sides are 5-course American bond. Old photographs show that the structure once had a portico with two tall columns; however, when the street was widened in 1954, the portico became a casualty. A single window is above the Federal-style entrance. Two 6/6 windows presently flank the entry, but in a 1928 photo shows that the building had two 9-light store windows. Tucker's Store gained the name after the owners and operators of a mercantile store at this location. The building is one of 4 brick buildings in a row built in similar style. This structure has now undergone renovation and the portico has been restored.
This building is part of the Charlotte Court House Historic District (Virginia Dept. of Historic Resources ID: 185-0023; the building's ID is 185-23-480. The entire district was placed on the National Register of Historic Places 8 Feb 1995. NHRP #95000023.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.