Washington DC Trip 20 - Aug 1976
Aerial view of Washington's Mount Vernon estate. (gaf)
Mount Vernon was home to George Washington for more than 45 years. First known as Little Hunting Creek Plantation, the Estate was originally granted to Washington's great grandfather John Washington in 1674.
It eventually passed to Washington's older half-brother, Lawrence, who renamed the property Mount Vernon after his commanding officer, Admiral Edward Vernon of the British navy. George Washington inherited the property upon the death of his brother Lawrence's widow in 1761.
For more history and pictures of Mount Vernon, check out this link: www.mountvernon.org/learn/explore_mv/index.cfm/ss/27/