new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Fredericksburg Normal and Industrial Institute | by umwdtlt
Back to photostream

Fredericksburg Normal and Industrial Institute

Fredericksburg Normal and Industrial Institute N-33 Due to the efforts of local blacks, the Fredericksburg Normal and Industrial Institute (FNII) opened in October 1905 at the Shiloh New Site Baptist Church with about 20 students. In 1906 the board of trustees purchased land and a large farmhouse here, named it Mayfield, and opened the school in the autumn. The course of study, modeled after a university curriculum included teacher education classes as well as English, mathematics, history, geography, literature, Greek, and music. By 1938, Mayfield High School had become a part of the segregated city school system.

376 views
0 faves
0 comments
Taken on March 14, 2006