Other important facts and infos about the Metropolitan building in Warsaw include:
- One of the city's famous buildings.
- Metropolitan is among the winners of the prestigious architectural RIBA Worldwide Award in 2004.
- Metropolitan was awarded a MIPIM Award on March 11, 2004, the most prestigious distinction in the property world, in a business center's category.
- The construction of a modern office building in such a culturally-sensitive location led to a heated debate among Polish architects.
- The 50-meter diameter courtyard in the heart of the building and three passages allow pedestrian shortcuts across the site, resulting in an open public area.
- This resulted in rounded corners and vertical granite fins which, when viewed from the side give the façade solidity but when viewed from the front seem to disappear. Similar fins, but made of glass were installed in Crown Point. [ The Crown Point is another famous building in Warsaw and is constructed mainly in glass / limestone / concrete - but by architect Ludwik Konior & Montois Partners Architects ]
- Due to its sensitive location the project was discussed with conservators of historic monuments, which led to design changes that complimented the neighboring buildings and sites.
- The occupied square formerly belonged to the Saxon Axis, the grandest baroque urban scheme in Warsaw.
- Built in close proximity to historically and culturally significant sites: the Unknown Soldier's Tomb, the Zacheta State Art Gallery, the Grand Theater and the Saxon Garden.
Borders the north side of Pilsudski Square, one of the most historically-important in Warsaw.
- The Metropolitan is comprised of three separate, but linked buildings.
Architect: Foster + Partners [ Lord - Norman - Foster ]
About the architect: Norman Robert Foster, Baron Foster of Thames Bank, OM (born 1 June 1935) is a British architect whose company maintains an international design practice. He is Britain's most prolific builder of landmark office buildings. In 2009 Foster was awarded the Prince of Asturias Award in the Arts category.