Centenary Municipal Movement
1913-1950:
The international municipal begins with the creation of the Union Internationale des Villes in 1913 during the World Fair in Ghent and, more precisely, the decision to maintain permanent relations between municipalities from all over the world to better serve their citizens. The inter war years see few advancements however in the wake of WWII and in a bid to establish permanent peace, municipalities begin to cooperate and create links that supersede the conflicts of national governments.

1951-1991:
After 1950, the Movement diversifies as new organisations, associations and unions beginning to work on specialist topics. Le Monde Bilingue, the Fédération de Villes Jumelées (later United Towns Organisation), the International Union of Mayors and the Public Administration Clearing House USA, among many others, seek to reinforce the working links between local authorities. The increase of the movement outside of Europe and North America marks an important stage: networks of local authorities are extended by creating regional sections, in particular in Africa and Asia, and global cooperation projects are launched.

1992-2003:
Creation of G4, G4+ and CAMVAL promotes coordination among local level actors and their representative organisation on the international scene. Overcoming differences in fields of activities, approaches and membership, results in increased recognition of the effectiveness of the local level in international development cooperation and policy making. The nature of this local level coordination moves from temporary to permanent with the goal of establishing a unified voice for local and regional authorities from across the globe on the international scene. By the end of this period, the permanent coordination is finalised.
35 photos · 573 views