new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Fairview Avenue School in Grandview, 1917 | by UA Archives | Upper Arlington History
Back to album

Fairview Avenue School in Grandview, 1917

Until Upper Arlington opened its school system in October 1918, children in the community attended the Grandview schools. Enrollment in the Grandview school district was increasing rapidly, leading to a growing concern about overcrowding, particularly within the Grandview high school. In 1918, the Grandview school system consisted of a four-room Fifth Avenue school for grades one through three, the pictured eight-room Fairview Avenue school for grades four through eight, and a four-room Fairview Avenue high school. The Fairview Avenue school was considered quite modern for its time with modern heating, lighting, and ventilation. The planning and cooking of the school lunches was done by the students in the domestic department and the bookkeeping classes kept the cafeteria accounts.

 

This image available online at the UA Archives >>

 

Read the related "Norwester" magazine article at the UA Archives >>

 

----------------------------------------

 

Identifier: hinw01p005i01

Date (yyyy-mm-dd): c. 1917-11

Original Dimensions: 12.8 cm x 5.1 cm

Format: Black and White Halftone Photograph

Source: Norwester, November 1917, page 7

Original Publisher: Upper Arlington Community (Ohio)

Location/s: Grandview Heights (USA, Ohio, Franklin County)

Repository: Upper Arlington Historical Society

Digital Publisher: UA Archives - Upper Arlington Public Library

 

Credit: UA Archives - Upper Arlington Public Library (Repository: UA Historical Society)

5,449 views
2 faves
0 comments
Taken in November 1917