new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Mary Ellen Marr | by Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Back to album

Mary Ellen Marr

Name: Mary E. Marr

Arrested for: not given

Arrested at: North Shields Police Station

Arrested on: 28 August 1905

Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-37-Mary Marr


For an image of her mother Mary Ann Marr see


For an image of her sister Alice Maud Marr see


For an image of her brother Charles Marr see


Mary Marr's arrest in 1905 was not her only brush with the police.


The Shields Daily News for 6 June 1906 reports:




At North Shields Police Court today Charles Marr, Mary Ann Marr, Mary Ellen Marr and Chas. Marr were charged with being concerned together in stealing a sailor's bag of clothing etc, valued at £2, the property of John Partis Gibson, a seaman.


Supt. Jamieson of the BTP prosecuted. The prosecutor said that on the 7th May he joined the s.s. Camelia, which was then lying at the Commissioners’ Staithes. He was proceeding to the docks with his bag and when passing the North Shields Railway Station the defendant Chas. Marr came up to him and offered to carry his bag for 1d. He said he would give him 3d if he carried it to the docks and he agreed to do so. He gave him the bag and told him he was going to make a purchase. On reaching his vessel he failed to see the boy and gave information to the police. He went to sea the same day and had just returned. Two pawnbrokers’ assistants spoke to receiving a portion of the stolen clothing from two of the female defendants.


Sub-Inspector Leitch said that on the 8th May, from information received, he made enquiries and proceeded to the North Shields Railway Station, where he found the boy Marr and questioned him. He told witness he took the bag home, being unable to find the man who had engaged him at the dock. He went to the house occupied by the defendants and spoke to Mrs Marr with regard to the bag. She told him it was in the cupboard. He took possession of it and found that it contained only a small portion of the stolen clothing. He mentioned this circumstance to her and she said it was just the same as it was when it was brought in the previous day and that it had not been touched. He searched the house and found a portion of the property and he recovered the remainder from the pawnbrokers. He added that the boy told the truth at once and had given him every assistance in recovering the property, while the mother had given him a great deal of trouble.


Formally charged, the mother, Mary Ann Marr, said it would not have happened had it not been for need.


Charles, who made his 13th appearance, was given the option of a fine, he having assisted the police, and he was mulcted in 1s without costs. Marry Ann Marr, whom the magistrates considered was the chief instigator in the theft, was committed to prison for 14 days, while Mary Ellen Marr was sentenced to 7 days imprisonment. Because of her youth, Alice Marr was discharged."


The Shields Daily News for 24 January 1907 reports:




At North Shields Police Court today Mary Ellen Marr (21), Alice Maud Marr (17), sisters, and Mary Ann Marr (44), their mother, were charged with having stolen an indiarubber door mat, valued at £1 4s, the property of Joseph Ostens, from the doorway of his house, 34 Grosvenor Place, on the 17th inst., or with having received the same, well knowing it to have been stolen. They were further charged with having stolen a similar mat, valued at £1 3s, from the doorway of No. 32 Grosvenor Place, on the 17th inst., the property of John R Sutherland. There was a third charge against Mary Ellen and Alice Maud of having stolen on the 21st ult., from the porch of Percy Park House, Grand Parade, Tynemouth, an indiarubber mat, valued at £1 10s, the property of Mr A. O. Carr, JP.


In the first case, Detective Sergeant Hall said that on the 18th inst. he arrested the accused at their residence in Church Way. He found the mat produced cut to pieces in the kitchen. Afterwards it was identified by the prosecutor as his property. In the other cases, evidence was given to the effect that the two other mats had been similarly treated, and that one of them had been disposed of at a marine store dealer's for 3s 6d. Previous convictions against the accused were put in by the Chief Constable (Mr J. H. Huish) and the magistrates committed the mother to prison for 14 days on each of the two charges preferred against her and sent the daughters to gaol for 14 days on each of the three charges preferred against them."


These images are a selection from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 in the collection of Tyne & Wear Archives (TWA ref DX1388/1).


(Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email

7 faves
Taken on August 28, 1905