Chicago and North Western Terminal opened in 1911. The new station on West Madison Street was enormous and expertly designed. The headhouse occupied a full city block, with the approach tracks and train sheds spanning an additional two blocks to the north. Though hemmed in on all sides by dense urban development, the entire complex nonetheless covered thirty-eight acres in total. From the beginning, the station was designed to handle 250,000 passengers and 500 trains per day, though its actual usage, even during World War II, never approached these numbers.
Today the station is the Metra Ogilvie Transportation Center.
Taken from the Detroit Publishing Co. Collection at the U.S. Library of Congress.
More Detroit Publishing Co. black & white photographs
[PD] This picture is in the public domain.