Middleton Tower Holiday Camp
First opened in 1939 by Japanese businessman Harry Kamiya it covered 60 acres of seafront land south of Morecambe, Lancs. It was famous for its 2000-seat theatre, the 'SS Berengaria', which was built in 1949 in the style of an ocean liner.

It was acquired by Pontins in 1964 and all the old wooden chalets were tore down and replaced by 900 new units mostly in two-storey blocks. A large new dining hall was built and it was able to accommodate 3000 people on a full-board basis. A fire in 1976 destroyed one of the main entertainment buildings.

It was one of the largest camps in the old Pontins empire. Closed in 1993 the camp sat empty and abandoned for several years until being sold for housing development. The site is now totally cleared except for the 17th Century Grade II farmhouse which was converted into a bar during the holiday camp era.
77 photos · 7,570 views