1961/05/06-07. 45532 on the Wembley Stadium Loop Line.
1961/05/06.06. Rebuilt Patriot class 4-6-0 45532 ILLUSTRIOUS of Nottingham Shed (16A) backs round the start of the Wembley Stadium loop line on Cup final Day in 1961.
The Wembley Stadium return loop was built by the LNER in 1924 to provide a station, initially called Wembley Exhibition, for the British Empire Exhibition so that an intensive service could be run to and from Marylebone. In 1948 when the Olympic Games were held at Wembley it was called Wembley Stadium and in later years it was also used when important football matches were played at Wembley or other big events were held at the Wembley complex. It was also used for turning locomotives running in and out of Marylebone
It was last used in 1968 and closed in 1969. Little trace of the line now remains.
Saturday, 6th May, 1961. Copyright © Ron Fisher.