RD10814. PRINCE at Tanybwlch.
RD10814. In May 2015, the 2ft gauge Ffestiniog Railway in North Wales celebrated 150 years of carrying passengers.
Although the line was opened in 1836, it only carried slate from the quarries in the hills to the coast at Portmadoc. Passenger trains were not run until 1865 and each day of the Gala Weekend represented trains of different eras of the line's passenger carrying history. On the Sunday this was the early preservation years of the 1950s and 1960s and this is 0-4-0ST/T PRINCE taking water at Tanybwlch having arrived with 'Y Cymro', a non-stop train from Porthmadog.
'Y Cymro' means 'The Welshman' and this recreated a train that ran in the 1960s when Tanybwlch was the upper terminus on the line.
Sunday, 3rd May, 2015. Copyright © Ron Fisher.