flickr-free-ic3d pan white

The "New" Bridge

Explored - Dec. 13, 2008 | Highest Position #326 - Thank you all so very much!

 

What:

A. Murray MacKay Bridge

aka: The "New" Bridge

 

Where:

Halifax

Nova Scotia

Canada

 

About:

The A. Murray MacKay Bridge is the second suspension bridge linking the Halifax Peninsula with Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, and opened on July 10, 1970.

 

The bridge is named after Alexander Murray MacKay, chairman of the Halifax-Dartmouth Bridge Commission from 1951 to 1971 and past chief executive officer of MT&T. MacKay was instrumental in having both the Angus L. Macdonald Bridge and his namesake structure built during his tenure at the commission.

 

Following the death of former Nova Scotia premier Robert L. Stanfield in 2004, there was a motion made to rename the MacKay Bridge to honour Stanfield (in 2007 the Halifax International Airport was renamed to Halifax Stanfield International Airport, and several new schools and institutions being built are being considered for the Stanfield name), however the Stanfield family did not want any current structures already named for persons to be changed for Stanfield's sake.

 

The bridge carries Highway 111, informally known as the Dartmouth "Circumferential Highway," across the northwestern end of "The Narrows" of Halifax Harbour. The centre of the Halifax Explosion in 1917 is several hundred metres southeast of the structure near the Richmond shoreline.

 

View Large

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nikon D200 : Sigma 10-20mm @ 10mm : 30s @ f/16 : ISO 200

2,630 views
25 faves
72 comments
Taken on September 21, 2008