Old Preston Workhouse
© 2012 Tony Worrall
From the Workhouse Website: 'In 1865-8, a new workhouse was built on Watling Street Road in Fulwood at the north of Preston. It was designed by Leigh Hall to accommodate up to 1,500 inmates. It was planned to cost £30,000 although the final total was in the region of £50,000. By 1870, the crippling loan charges against the project stood at £87,761. The workhouse later became known as Preston Civic Hostel and was subsequently used as offices. More recently it was used as a local college and as a business centre although has now been sold for redevelopment, probably for residential use. The workhouse infirmary later became Sharoe Green Hospital was used for geriatric care but has now closed and the buildings demolished'