Chitwood Covered Bridge (#1 of 2 Set)
Crossing the Yaquina River, this lovely covered bridge is located west of Philomath, Oregon, off highway 20. It is 96 feet long, exhibits a cedar shake roof, flare sides painted barn red and has a wooden deck.
Built in 1926, The Chitwood Bridge was once surrounded by several stores, a post office, a telephone office, and several houses. The boarded up remains of the Smith store nearby is a dim reminder of the vitality the community once had. A small community of homes still exists near the bridge.
Logging in the area once boomed enough to support not only the stores, but also
contributed to rowdy times in the Chitwood Dance Hall. In the early 1900s Chitwood became an important rail stop for the steam locomotives from Yaquina to Corvallis, as the town was where the engines took on water and fuel, as well as passengers and freight. The rails near the bridge are still used, but the train no longer stops at Chitwood.
In 1983, the bridge was reopened after major repairs.
sources: "Roofs Over Rivers" by Bill and Nick Cockrell, and the State of Oregon - coveredbridges.stateoforegon.com/bridges/lincoln/chitwood...