new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
The Empire of the Dead | by Great Beyond
Back to group

The Empire of the Dead

The removal of the bones began after the blessing of the place on April 7, 1786 and was continued until 1788, always at night and according to a ceremonial made up of a procession of priests who sang the burial service along the way borrowed by the tipcarts charged with bones and covered with a black veil. Thereafter, this place was used, until 1814, to collect the bones of all the cemeteries of Paris.

288 views
1 fave
1 comment
Taken on January 2, 2009