new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white

Coffee

The original section of the Broadwater was built in 1937. The hotel was later expanded by Dorothy Brown and flourished until it was purchased by President Casinos in 1991. The hotel's decline was sharp and sudden. By the time Katrina hit, the property was scheduled to be demolished for a 34 story condominium tower. The site is still owned by W.C. Fore and may eventually be developed.

 

Adapted from The Beautiful coffee shop - Broadwater Beach Hotel, Biloxi, Miss. Sysid 92643. Scanned as TIFF in 2007/08/23 by MDAH. Credit: Courtesy of the Mississippi Department of Archives and History.

1,009 views
4 faves
6 comments
Uploaded on July 17, 2012