Roomba Serial Interface: parts needed
Below are parts lists from Jameco (and one from Radio Shack). Jameco doesn't have the cheapest parts, but they do have an easy-to-use site, ship fast, and carry just about everything that a weekend electronics geek would need. If you want to really scrimp, shop at Digikey or Mouser, and you'll probably save a few bucks on these parts.
Parts list (from Jameco):
- 1 x Mac mini-din 8-pin cable ($3.29)
- 1 x serial cable with DB9 9-pin female connector ($3.95)
- 1 x 78L05 +5VDC voltage regulator ($0.27)
- 1 x MAX232 RS-232 transceiver ($2.19)
- 1 x green LED ($1.40 for 10)
- 1 x 220 ohm resistor ($0.69 for 100)
- 6 x 1 uF electrolytic capacitor ($1.20 for 10)
And from Radio Shack:
- 1 x prototyping pc board ($1.79)
Luckily I had all these parts in my part drawer, so the actual cost for me was zero. If you've ever done any little projects, you probably have some of these parts laying around too.