new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Derelict Quad | by tj.blackwell
Back to photostream

Derelict Quad

Work first began on this asylum in 1887. Situated on three hundred acres of land bought from the Fawkes family (of Guy Fawkes fame) the project provided employment for up to 500 building workers and boosted the local rural economy. When the building was finished the hospital continued to provide further local employment. A new school was built on Main Street in 1894 to serve the growing village population, which by 1901 was about 1,600 people.

2,392 views
1 fave
0 comments
Taken on May 19, 2011