* The five blue shields represents the five moor kings defeated by the first King of Portugal, D. Afonso Henriques, at the Battle of Ourique.
* The dots inside the blue shields represent the five wounds of Christ when crucified.
* The seven castles represents the fortified cities D. Afonso Henriques conquered from the moors.
* The globe represents the world discovered by the Portuguese navigators in the fifteen and sixteenth centuries.
* The green strip is meant to symbolize the hope in the future and the red the blood of the nation’s heroes.
(taken from www.un.int/portugal/flagexplanation.htm)