View on the 13th Century Castle of Celje (Stari Grad).
Celje is an old town in Slovenia with about 45.000 inhabitants. The settlement was known in the Celtic times as Kelea, a town where money was coined. In Roman times the town became rich and secured with the walls and towers, it received municipal rights under the name municipium Claudia Celeia. Remnants of the temple of Mars, which was famous throughout the whole empire, can still be found. The city was razed and rebuilt by Slavic tribes in the Early Middle Ages. It became the seat of the Counts of Celje; after the inheritage by the Habsburgs, the city walls and defensive moat were built (1473). Around 1900 the Celje had a majority of Germans, it became the base of nationalism against Slovenes and the Deutsches Haus was built (today: Celjski dom). After the 1st World War, Celje became part of Yugoslavia and the town was industrialized, but German Gestapo occupied the city in 1941, thousands of people were killed, deported and imprisoned. .
A monument in Celje called Vojna in mir (War and Peace) by the sculptor Jakob Savinšek, commemorates the World War II era. Celje became part of independent Slovenia after the Ten-Day War in 1991.