Old Tallinn spires
View to Tallinn from the Patkuli Viewing Platform.
The smaller Baroque spire in the center:
Church of the Transfiguration of Our Lord in Tallinn.
This Orthodox Church of Estonia was built in the 13th century. It is a medieval Cistercian St. Michael’s Abbey for nuns that was rebuilt as the Transfiguration Church in 1732. The present spire with its Baroque helmet was added in 1776. This church is also home to what is now the oldest church bell in town, designed by Matthias Beninck in 1575.
Behind it, the tall spire:
"St. Olaf’s Church or St. Olav's Church (Estonian: Oleviste kirik) is believed to have been built in the 12th century and to have been the centre for old Tallinn's Scandinavian community before Denmark conquered Tallinn in 1219.
In 1590, the total height of the church tower was 115.35–125 m. The tower has been hit by lightning around 10 times, and the whole church has burned down three times throughout its known existence. According to sources it was the tallest building in the world from 1549 to 1625, but this claim is controversial: one account of the final rebuilding states the church was formerly "ten fathoms" higher, but paintings depict a spire similar in proportions to the current one; moreover, several different fathoms were in use in Estonia at the time and it is uncertain which was meant. After several rebuildings, its spire