View to Kremlin from the Sofiyskaya Embankment
Left to right: the Grand Kremlin Palace, 1849, Russian Revival style (also Pseudo-Russian, Neo-Russian, Russian Byzantine).
Cathedral of the Annunciation, 1489.
Three silver domes and the golden one between them belong to the Cathedral of the Archangel, 1508.
Three golden domes to the right of it in the background: Dormition Cathedral, 1479.
Ivan the Great Bell Tower, 1508. From 1329, Moscow's first stone bell tower stood on this site, affiliated with the Church of St. Ivan of the Ladder-under-the Bell, hence the name "Ivan" in the title. During Grand Duke Ivan III’s major renovation of the Kremlin, he hired an Italian architect to replace this church and erect a new and unprecedentedly large tower on the foundations of the old tower as a monument to honor his father. Its height was around 60 meters then.
In 1600 on the orders of Boris Godunov the tower was raised to its present height, 81 meters.
The left wall tower: Taynitskaya Tower, 1485; the open arched top was added in 1680s; the tower was razed in 1772 and rebuilt again close to its previous form in 1780s. The other two towers, 1480, are nameless.