View to Kremlin from across the Moscow river
Left to right: Grand Kremlin Palace, 1849, Russian Revival style (also Pseudo-Russian, Neo-Russian, Russian Byzantine).
Cathedral of the Annunciation, 1489.
Taynitskaya Tower, 1485; the open arched top was added in 1680s; the tower was razed in 1772 and rebuilt again close to its previous form in 1780s.
Two silver domes and the golden one between them belong to the Cathedral of the Archangel, 1508. Two domes behind it in the background: Dormition Cathedral, 1479.
Ivan the Great Bell Tower, 1508. From 1329, Moscow's first stone bell tower stood on this site, affiliated with the Church of St. Ivan of the Ladder-under-the Bell, hence the name "Ivan" in the title. During Grand Duke Ivan III’s major renovation of the Kremlin, he hired an Italian architect to replace this church and erect a new and unprecedentedly large tower on the foundations of the old tower as a monument to honor his father. Its height was around 60 meters then.
In 1600 on the orders of tsar Boris Godunov the tower was raised to its present height, 81 meters.