Chiesa di San Michele, Savoca
Chiesa di San Michele (church of Saint Michael) was built at some time before 1250. Around 1420 the church was enlarged and received two Sicilian Gothic style portals. Throughout the Middle Ages and beyond those who converted to Christianity had to climb its steps on their knees as a sign of penance, and only after that could receive the sacrament of baptism.
In the last years of the 17th century the interior of the building was restored in the sumptuous Baroque style; these works were completed in 1701 with the construction of a rich pictorial cycle of frescoes that are now in precarious condition. In 1761 the wooden roof trusses that still support the roof were rebuilt.
The hillside town of Savoca has medieval, Renaissance and Baroque buildings in its historic center. It was the location for the scenes set in Corleone of Francis Ford Coppola's The Godfather. The real Corleone town, about 300 km from Savoca, has become too developed and industrialized and didn't provide the right atmosphere for the movie scenes.
Savoca, Sicily. 2018