St. Stephen's Cathedral (more commonly known by its German title: Stephansdom), is the mother church of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Vienna and the seat of the Archbishop of Vienna.
The first church on the site was Romanesque and built in the years after 1137 but burnt down in 1193. It was re-built in early Gothic style; that church also burnt down in 1258.
Today′s cathedral was built between 1359 when Rudolf IV laid the foundation stone for a new cathedral that was meant to emphasise the role of Vienna as a capital, and the early 20th century, when some of the choirs and chapels were finished. It now appears in late Gothic and typically Germanic style.
Romanesque Towers on the west front to the left and right of the Giant's Door are the two Roman Towers, or Heidentürme, that each stand at approximately 65 metres (213 ft) tall. The name for the towers derives from the fact that they were constructed from the rubble of old structures built by the Romans (German Heiden meaning heathens or pagans) during their occupation of the area. Square at the base and octagonal above the roofline, the Heidentürme originally housed bells; those in the south tower were lost during World War II, but the north tower remains an operational bell tower. The Roman Towers, together with the Giant's Door, are the oldest parts of the church.