Haghpat monastery behind the protective walls
Right: St. Grigor's church, 1025. To the left of it: Surp Nshan church. Notice three ancient khachkars used in the masonry of the wall.
The small St. Grigor church (1023-1025), a rectangular building with an inscribed cross interior and chambers at the four corners.
St. Grigor lost its dome during reconstruction in 1211 and the barrel vault now supports a simple gabled roof. The outer walls are decorated with columns and a pointed arch.
The walls date to the 10-11th centuries, after the construction of St. Nshan. Following repeated sackings of the monastery in the 13th-16th centuries, the wall was rebuilt several times, using original cyclopic blocks of stone, black and red tuff stone rubble and lime cement. Its latest reconstruction is 20th century.
Notice three ancient khachkars used in the masonry of the wall.
Haghpat monastery, Armenia, 2011