Secession architecture in Vienna. Otto Wagner house
The house, built in 1898, Linken Wienzeile 38, is known for its spectacular corner solution, which is designed in the form of a quarter circle. The house is white plastered with gilded stucco medallions and other golden ornaments. The sculpture of the callers on the roof is from Othmar Schimkowitz , who some years later created the angelic figures for Wagner's church at Steinhof.
Since 1914, the house has been owned by the Kohn family, which it bought at the time from the Concordia Press Club, and still preserves its preservation. The banking branch, which had existed in this house since 1916, was originally managed by the Viennese banking association and now - after several mergers - belongs to the branch network of Bank Austria . Originally Otto Wagner had provided for the area of the lower floors a coffee house. During the Nazi regime, the building was "aryanized" (a term coined during Nazism referring to the forced expulsion of so-called "non-Aryans", mainly Jews, from business life in Nazi Germany). In 1947 Kohn, who had returned from the South American exile, was reimbursed for the building. The façade was last restored from 2000 to 2003.
There were several prominent architects who became associated with the Vienna Secession (a distinct variant of Art Nouveau). During this time, architects focused on bringing purer geometric forms into the designs of their buildings. Even though they had their own type of design, the inspiration came from neoclassical architecture, with the addition of leaves and natural motifs. The three main architects of this movement were Josef Hoffmann, Joseph Maria Olbrich, and Otto Wagner. Secessionist architects often decorated the surface of their buildings with linear ornamentation in a form commonly called whiplash or eel style, although Wagner's buildings tended towards greater simplicity and he has been regarded as a pioneer of modernism.