homemade cake doughnuts with cinnamon sugar
recipe adapted from what geeks eat, reprinted below
For the doughnuts
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground ginger
2 tsp ground nutmeg
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons plain yogurt
For the topping:
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
Safflower oil for deep frying
1) Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground ginger, and nutmeg together in a large bowl. Set aside.
2) In a medium bowl, combine milk and yogurt. Add the eggs and sugar; mix well.
3) Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and combine.
4) Turn out onto a well floured surface. Pat or roll dough to 1/2 inch thickness, being careful not to overwork the dough or incorporate too much flour (it is quite sticky).
5) Cut dough using a doughnut cutter or a drinking glass and a shot glass (I used the latter).
6) Heat oil in a saucepan until it reaches 350°F - it's important to be accurate. If the oil is not hot enough, the dough will be greasy and heavy; if it's too hot, the doughnuts will burn/brown quickly. if you don't have a candy/deep fry thermometer, you can try using a small piece of dough to test the temperature.
6a) While waiting for the oil to heat up, you can mix the cinnamon sugar and prepare some baking racks and paper towels for the cooked doughnuts.
7) Carefully drop the doughnuts in the hot oil, and flip them when they become golden on one side.
8) When they are done frying, let them drain and cool briefly on a baking rack (line the underside with paper towels or place on top of a baking sheet lined with paper towels).
9) While still warm, roll the doughnuts in the cinnamon sugar mixture. Enjoy!