Published by John Baskett of London, 1717
The handsomely tooled leather bound King James Bible was presented to Christ Church in 1958 by Mrs. James Orr Denby and descended through her family. A record of family births, marriages and deaths from 1725 – 1838 was kept in this Bible, one couple; William G. and Elizabeth L. Cochran were married in 1825 by Bishop White. The Vinegar Bible derives its nickname from the typographical error made in the upper left page heading in the Gospel of St. Luke, chapter 20 where the word “vineyard” is mistakenly spelled as “vinegar.” Baskett’s edition contained other typographical errors; the book is commonly referred to as the “Baskett-ful of errors.” Detailed engravings add to the beauty of this Bible. It is a first edition; several later editions were issued.
This is Christ Church’s earliest King James Bible. In 1604 King James called for the issuance of a new Bible translated from the original Hebrew and Greek which would serve as a standard for the Anglican Church. Forty-seven scholars worked on this translation; the whole was published in 1611 and numerous subsequent editions were issued.