Back in Her Arms Again
The Fleishhacker pool and pool house were built in 1924 by philanthropist Herbert Fleishhacker. The pool was the largest swimming pool in the United States. The pool held 6 million gallons of water and could accomodate 10,000 swimmers. The pool was closed in 1971 with the pool itself being paved over by the San Francisco Zoo for a new parking lot. The pool house which was used by bathers at the pool remains on its original site today in ruins.