Port Seton fishing fleet
The burgh of Cockenzie was created in 1591 by James VI of Scotland. Port Seton harbour was built by George Seton, 11th Lord Seton between 1655 and 1665. It was between 1655 and 1665 that George, the tenth Lord Seton, built the first harbour at Port Seton. It was called Port Seton to distinguish it from nearby Cockenzie Harbour, and thus the village of Port Seton got its name.