Manifold Clock Tower - Camperdown VIC
Camperdown is an historically significant rural town in southwestern Victoria, Australia, 194 kilometres (121 mi) south west of the state capital, Melbourne.
The town is renowned for its classic historical buildings. Central is the 103-foot (31 m) high Gothic Manifold Clock Tower, built 1897, which sits in a wide Elm lined median between the dual carriageways of Manifold Street, named in honour of one of the pioneer pastoralists. Tower, avenue, Boer War memorial, Soldiers' memorial, memorial cross and JC Manifold statue are all listed on the Victorian Heritage Register.
Among the many other classic buildings are the 1886-7 two storey Georgian style Court House, the 1863 two storey bluestone (granite) Post Office, Theatre Royal (1890) and Masonic Hall (1867–68).
The Djargurd Wurrung people are the traditional aboriginal people of the Camperdown area, who had lived in the area for thousands of years as a semi-nomadic hunter gatherer society.
The first British settlers arrived in the area from Van Diemen's Land (Tasmania) after 1835 to establish sheep runs. Notable on this account is the family of David Fenton, the Scottish Presbyterian shepherd and drover who built the first house in Camperdown in 1853.