Steve Prefontaine sets a meet and Los Angeles Arena record of 8:27.4 at the Sunkist Invitational Indoor Track and Field Meet two-mile race January 20, 1973. His time was 0.2 second short of the US record set by Frank Shorter in 1971. This 1973 race had a stellar cast of entrants.
This was an interesting race in that Lasse Viren was in the field--Viren won the 5000m of the 1972 Munich Olympics the prior summer after a back and forth contest with Pre that led to Pre's 4th place finish as he faded at the end. Viren also won gold in the Munich 10,000 final.
This 2-mile race finishing order:
1. Pre (U of Oregon) 8:27.4
2. Marty Liquori (NYAC) 8:38.8
3. Tracy Smith (unattached, LAPD) 8:38.8 (same time as Liquori)
4. Peter Kaal (Pacific Coast Club, S. Africa) 8:40.2
5. Frank Shorter (FL TC) 8:40.6 - US record holder with 8:26.2
6. Lasse Viren (Finland) 8:49.0 - suffered from dysentary
There were at least two other entrants who ran in this race, but I can find no record of their names. One of them is the runner in blue and red following Pre in the above photo.
Pre competed in the 2-mile event in three Sunkist meets, winning them all:
1973 - Steve Prefontaine ( Oregon ), 8:27.4 Meet Record
1974 - Steve Prefontaine ( Oregon TC), 8:33.0
1975 - Steve Prefontaine ( Oregon TC), 8:24.4, Americsn Record