The flower garden of Kroměříž
In the years 1665-1675 Prince-bishop Karel II. from Lichtenstein - Kastelkorn founded an early-baroque Pleasure garden on infertile land and moors behind the town walls, which is called the Flower Garden today. A garden project of Italian architect Filiberto Luchese combined Italian and Dutch influence into a liberally designed garden preceding French gardens of Le Notre. The unique Garden represents an authentic design of an early-baroque European Pleasure garden, examples of which are not preserved, neither on Continent nor in England or there are only fragments of such left.
Structures and elements of the architect Giovanni Pietro Tencalla who finished Luchese´s work were also preserved. Above all it is the entrance Gallery of 244 m length with 46 opened arcaded fields (46 niches with ancient sculptures) and with 46 busts on consoles (according the model of Roman Villa Pamphili). In 1840-1845 the architect Antonín Arch substituted the original garden entrance (through the Gallery) with an entrance building and two orangeries, together forming the Empire Courtyard of honour. The circular Summerhouse is a central structure of the Garden. On an octagonal basis with grottoes, sculptures of fauns and water features there is a cupola. Its interior is decorated with stuccoes of the Italian artists Quirino Castelli and Carlo Borsa (1670-1674) and frescoes of Carpoforo Tencalla. It is one of the most valuable world central structures in garden history.
A designer situated inside the Garden also a baroque aviary on a small island in a pool and a rabbit hill, which was not preserved. Two small artifical garden hills are reflected in the square water surfaces. High trimmed hedgerows border the paths of 5.5 km length, and low cut hedges frame parterres of broderiesand two garden labyrinths (square and circular).
Historical and stylish authenticity of the Garden was kept also during repairs and maintenance in 60s and 70s of the 20th Century. In 1977 the Castle complex with both the Gardens were a site, where the world meeting of the International Committee for Historical Gardens ICOMOS-IFLA took place. In the end of 1998 the Chateau and the Gardens of Kroměříž were inscribed on UNESCO World Heritage List and thus their historical importance were truly appreciated.
85 photos · 5 videos · 54 views