Study Abroad in THAILAND (2005-Current)
PROGRAM DESCRIPTION: Arts for Humanity in Thailand is an incredibly unique study abroad opportunity that enables socially-conscious students from the College of Fine Arts and Communication (COFAC) to share their artistic gifts and abilities with at-risk children cared for by the Development Education Program for Daughters and Communities (DEPDC).
DEPDC is a non-profit, community based, non-governmental organization (NGO) located in Mae Sai, Thailand. DEPDC focuses on working toward preventative solutions to the problems of human trafficking, child prostitution, and other exploitative child-labor situations. It offers free non-formal education, vocational training, and full time accommodation for female/male youth ages 4-25.
Arts for Humanity in Thailand sends 15 students and a professor from COFAC to Mae Sai, Thailand where they serve annually as DEPDC’s exclusive fine arts resource. COFAC students prepare lessons and teach classes in dance, theatre, music, art and communication to over 300 children (K-12). In addition to teaching fine arts classes, COFAC students work together to create an on-site permanent art piece (example: painted wall mural).
Arts for Humanity in Thailand also provides students with life-changing experiences:
- Lectures presented by two-time Noble Peace Prize nominee and founder of DEPDC: Sompop Jantraka
- Travel between Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Mae Sai, witnessing the economic and cultural differences throughout Thailand
- Interactive visit to an authentic hill-tribe village
- One-day excursion to an elephant conservation camp
- Weekend day trips with children and youth from DEPDC