Finchley Road station
Finchley Road tube station with Finchley Road heading north.
Finchley Road station was opened by the Metropolitan Railway in 1879 on the line up to Harrow, now called Harrow-on-the-Hill, and Verney Junction in Buckinghamshire. A goods yard opened next to the station in January 1894 and was closed in August 1941. In 1885 the name was changed to Finchley Road (South Hampstead), the 'South Hampstead' suffix was dropped in 1914 when the station was rebuilt with entrances incorporated into a new parade of shops.
In 1939 the stopping service between Finchley Road and Wembley Park along with the branch to Stanmore was transferred to the recently opened Bakerloo line, the Jubilee line took over the Stanmore service when it opened in 1979.