lemon pudding cake
this simple cake doesn't look too impressive but it is so good and easy to make. got the recipe from cook's illustrated. the cake bakes up so it's soft and creamy on the bottom but more stiff and cake-like on the top. a refreshing dessert.
- 3/4 cup sugar (or less if you like it less sweet)
- 1/4 cup cake flour
- pinch salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbl grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
1. grease 9x9 inch baking pan and preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. combine sugar, flour and salt in bowl.
3. beat egg yolks, milk, lemon zest and lemon juice in a bowl. pour this mixture into flour mixture and mix together.
4. beat egg whites with electric beater untill stiff peaks form. fold this mixture into the egg yolk mixture.
5. pour batter into pan and bake about 35 minutres. the top should be golden brown but the bottom will still be soft. let cool. you can eat this cake warm but i like to cool it completely in the fridge and eat it cold with a dollop of whipped cream. yum!