"THE NERVE" - Project :: 'The Cowardly Lion' benefit for S-CAP // ..The Southern Colorado AIDS Project - V 2.0 revised // "THE NERVE"
-->> i made a personal commitment to S-Cap, tried to be involved with a local HIV/AIDs organization that provides support,services,caring,education and research-based prevention programs that target high risk populations within the areas South of Denver (ect. ..).
My initial commitment to them in regards to donated work remains the same, ..as this project i've promised them has turned into something a little more longer term than i would have liked.
..as December 1 hits, it is World AIDS day once again.
As times have continued to grow harder, that many more living with HIV has also continued to grow. Steadfastness is challenging as wee in the storm as adversity also grows.
"Respect & Protect inspires individuals to consider the different roles they can play:
* Show respect by always treating people living with HIV fairly, respecting their confidentiality and challenging prejudice wherever it occurs.
* Respect themselves and their partners by always practicing safe sex to protect their sexual health.
* Find out the facts about HIV, spread the Respect & Protect message and encourage others to do the same." **src
Help tOkka fight the prejudices and ignorance about this epidemic thru' learning,prevention and awareness !!
Have THE NERVE !!
"Human immunodeficiency virus or HIV is a retrovirus that causes Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS), a condition in which the immune system begins to fail, leading to life-threatening opportunistic infections. .."
"A Summit of health ministers back in 1988 designated December 1rst as World AIDS Day to raise awareness of HIV and AIDS victims around the world. (*src.)
"The concept of a World AIDS Day .. World Summit of Ministers of Health on Programmes for AIDS Prevention. Since then, it has been taken up by governments, international organizations and charities around the world."
.."Around forty million people are living with HIV throughout the world - and that number increases in every region every day."
..Here are some helpful links!! ::
The main theme for W.A.D. thru' 2010 is ::
"Stop AIDS. Keep the Promise !!"
I had promised one (or more) fine-art paintings to the organization as a volunteer commission. With the exception of a digital proof i can keep for my own records..the entire piece(s ?) would go directly to S-cap for them to do as they pleased. S-cap at the time they had set up an ** auction system with all funding from the auctions going directly back to support S-cap.
As so many other instances in my life, i've had to re- strategise even this project, yet i still shall keep my promise.
"If people with HIV are diagnosed early and respond to treatment they can be healthy, work and have relationships like anyone else and have a long life expectancy.
Coming to terms with an HIV diagnosis and getting used to treatment can be very difficult however, and people living with HIV will often need support from healthcare providers, friends and family, employers and support organisations.
People living with HIV may find it hard to tell others about their condition as they worry that people will reject them, or they will experience prejudice from friends, family and colleagues. People living with HIV can also experience discrimination in their workplace, in healthcare settings (e.g., GPs and dentists), from members of their local community and through the media.
HIV prejudice is often the result of ignorance about how HIV is passed on and unfounded fear of becoming infected. Encouraging those around us to talk about HIV and find out the facts can help overcome this."
- .." 33 million people around the world are diagnosed to be living with HIV. The number seemed to have leveled off from 40 million worldwide which sounds promising but it still is a matter of great concern. Another 2.5 million people contracted the virus this year, which means a 40 percent lower than the estimate for 2006. Two million people more have died from AIDS since the beginning of the year."
- "The most affected region of the world is known to be sub-Saharan Africa. Eight African countries account for almost one third of all new HIV infections and deaths, according to the International Herald Tribune. Zimbabwe, for example, has known a drop of HIV prevalence rates, but AIDS is still the biggest challenge the country faces, according to Owen Mugurungi, who heads the government's HIV/AIDS and TB unit, quoted by Zimbabwe's Financial Gazette."
- ".. data come from Western Europe too. According to a survey in Great Britain the number of HIV cases is almost as high as in South Africa and that’s a country where about 19 percent of the population is HIV-positive. What is the most worrisome is that one in seven British people aged between 14 and 25 say they would’t stay friends with an HIV-infected people."
- "According to World Health Organization HIV has increased by more than 150 percent in Eastern Europe and central Asia in the past six years. The number of people living with HIV has more than doubled in Vietnam, while Indonesia has the fastest growing epidemic."
- "Almost 700,000 people are infected with HIV in China according to a survey released on Thursday by the United Nations and the Chinese government."
- Detroit, for example, has more than 40 percent of Michigan’s HIV and AIDS cases. Infection rates for African American are seven times higher than for whites and 17 times higher for black women than for white women. The number of gay men contracting the virus is also increasing."
-"Despite better prevention efforts, more than 6,800 people are infected each day and nearly 6,000 people die from AIDS.December 1rst is a day which tries to prevent HIV/AIDS from spreading, and according to these reports worldwide, there’s still a lot of work to be done fighting the disease and the prejudice that accompanies it."
The original concept for the piece and Lion character ::
"Inspiration lies in the mighty and endangered lion of sub-Saharan Africa. Also the Bert Lahr characterization of The Cowardly Lion from the 1939 film "The Wizard of Oz" ( a film i am sure you've never heard of ). After numerous obstacles and adventures..your friend, the Lion..desperately seeks courage from the Wizard.
After helping and protecting his allies ((with a little touch of the wizard's placebo ))toward the end, the Lion earns the Badge of Courage..
" -.. which makes him believe he has regained his courageous nature."
..within the deeper truth.. the Lion had a heart of gold.. and despite his overwhelmed fear, he remained steadfast and kept his commitment to his friends.
Ultimately :: The Lion had courage the entire time. Needing to prove it to himself was among his greatest challenges. Despite astounding odds..he persevered and helped everyone !!
He kept his promise !!
Prolly multiple lessons here, the Lion displays he Badge proudly. In such a crazy world ,he reminds us we need to be courageous in the face of adversity and HIV/AIDS.
Keep the promise !! "
This re-working directly over my original design, the character has become slightly stronger in appearance, yet also..hopefully retains a little ' soft ' charm. He's been given a mouth as well.
This project has become unlike any i have ever done. Perhaps that may explain some of the challenges in completing. Hopefully that will be very soon, i have chosen the canvas to work him on.. and will try to retain as much of the original design and revision as i can.
There will be a lot less ' chaos ' within' this that is normally attributed to everything i do. But the canvas itself is salvaged chip wood so that will give it plenty of texture.
I may be able to matte and frame this piece as well for donation to S-Cap.
I do believe this revision will help for a stronger piece for the Organization, and once completed ..it will be worth the wait !!
Tentative Title for this will be "The Nerve "
While stylized and ' Chibi' , i do want the Lion to convey a sense of ' boldness ' and steadfastness. Something pivotal even in this age of climates of heightened awareness.
..for information on S-cap in the Southern Colorado area..please CLICK HERE !!**